Interview with a 20-something millennial, Ryan, who primarily only uses Facebook and Twitter.
- What Social Media channels do they use related to their interest?
- Facebook & Twitter
- How much time do they spend each week on this Social Media Marketing?
- Maybe 5 hours a week
- How do they engage visitors to participate and share their content?
- Facebook in my opinion tells you to post how your day has been. Facebook & Twitter both suggest you to follow content related to your interests. Twitter doesn’t ask me to share as much as Facebook I feel, but I do re-tweet on things I really like.
- How does this social media engagement benefit the author?
- I get to keep up with my friends.
- How does this social media engagement benefit his or her audience?
- On Facebook I have more of an audience with my friends, but not really on Twitter.
- Ryan’s Final thoughts on social media:
- I do like social media, but I feel it is more of a waste of time. I feel I personally do not use it as much as my peers. I sometimes check my notifications and scroll a little bit on Twitter, but I feel it doesn’t offer me anything tangible. I prefer to meet my friends and family in person.
My conversation with Ryan on social media made me realize that while a lot of us are led to believe millennials live and die by social media, it is not always the case. A lot of young people work and go to school at the same time, and their phones are primarily to communicate with family.
What are your social media habits? Do you spend a lot of time on social media? Let me know in the comments below!